Learn how to create Master Resume
A master resume is the resume that you are going to constantly update as your career progresses. It is basically a list of everything that you have ever done.
How is master resume different to a regular resume?
A Master resume is a complete list of everything you have ever done. Things ONLY ever get added to your master resume – nothing is EVER deleted. Do not worry about your master resume becoming too long. As your career progresses your master resume will grow in size. REMEMBER that your master resume is never sent to employers so it is of no concern if your master resume grows to 10 or even 20 pages.
A regular resume, that is the resume you send when applying for jobs, is tailored to meet the requirements of each job advertisement. The style and content is changed to meet the requirements of the job advertisement. Irrelevant information is deleted to allow greater focus on relevant information that will help you when applying for that job.
Why should I create a master resume?
- Helps Memory. It is easy to forget things that you have done during the course of your career. Updating your master resume is an important resource to help you remember all the skills and experience that you have gained.
- Helps Applications. A master resume is a resource that you can use each time you apply for a new job. Not sure if you have the right skills for the role? Simply check your master resume as you might have the skills and experience required.
- Helps Career Progression. A master resume helps you to monitor and evaluate how your career is progressing. By referring to your master resume you can see how and when skills where obtained and what areas there are for improvement and progression.
What should I include on my master resume?
Examples of what you should include in your master resume include:
- Every job title
- Every project worked on
- Every skill acquired
- Every qualification gained
- Every achievement attained
- Every professional organisation joined
- Every award won
It can be difficult for people to think about what information they will require in the future. However, by starting your master resume now you will be helping to lay the foundations for your future success.
Have you found this article useful? Do you have any thoughts or tips that you would like to share with other in the Philippines? Feel free to comment below.
Find out more
You can find more careers articles in the Philippines at: Careers Advice