What is Ecology?
Ecology is the scientific study of the relationships between organisms and the natural environment. Ecologists contribute significantly to our understanding and conservation of the natural environment.
- Environmental Consultant
- Botanical Consultant
- Environmental Education Officer
- Conservation Officer
- Nature Conservation Officer
What skills do you need to work as an Ecologist?
- A fascination for animals and plants
- Knowledge and understanding of natural systems
- Good communication and teamwork skills
- Computer literacy
Where do Ecologists work?
Ecologists can work for governments, industry and non-governmental organisations (NGO’s). Ecologists work out a variety of roles in the public sector including scientific research, conservation and consultancy. In the private sector ecologist may be required for mineral extraction, processing food and timber, abstraction and supply of water, pest control, ecotourism and much more.
Typical work activities
- Undertaking scientific research
- Safeguarding protected areas and species
- Providing advice to government and industry
- Producing impact assessments
- Presenting information and teaching
Find out more