Need money to bring a creative project to life in 2016?
Whether you are a writer, artist, musician, designer or filmmaker you could bring your creative project to life with the help of a crowdfunding platform.
What is crowdfunding?
Crowdfunding is a way to fund a project by obtaining monetary contributions from people who may be interested in helping to fund your project.
How does it work?
Crowdfunding relies on 3 things:
- A creative person or group who have an idea and/or project to be funded;
- Individuals or groups who would like to support the idea and/or project;
- A crowdfunding platform that can bring the creative person (or group) together with those who want to help support the idea and/or project.
Where to find crowding platforms?
Two of the most popular crowdfunding platforms are Kickstarter and Indiegogo. The Kickstarter crowdfunding platform has helped 10 million people to fund almost 100,000 creative projects around the world. Whilst the Indiegogo crowdfunding platform has helped 9 million people to support 600,000 creative projects around the world.
How do I get funding for my creative project?
First you need to register with a crowdfunding platform. You will then be asked to provide some details of the creative project. This information helps those who may be interested in helping to fund your project to find out more about you and your idea. Check out Kickstarter and Indiegogo for examples of creative projects currently looking for funding. There is usually no fee for registering with a crowdfunding platform. Crowdfunding platforms generally just take a small % of the money offered by supports as their fee.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Why do people provide financial support for creative projects? There are many reasons why someone may want to help fund creative projects but often they just want to help someone create something.
- Do supporters get ownership or equity in the projects they fund? It most cases supporters do not get ownership or equity of the projects they fund. Projects that are funded may go on to make money, but supporters are supporting projects to help them come to life, not to financially profit.
- Can crowdfunding platforms be used to fund anything? The crowdfunding platforms we have mentioned help fund creative projects only. This could include:- Art, Comics, Crafts, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film & Video, Food, Games, Journalism, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater.
We hope that this article is of interest and that you are able to obtain crowdfunding to bring your creative project to life!