What is Information Technology?
Information Technology (IT) involves monitoring, maintaining, developing and upgrading IT and communication systems.
- IT Support
- IT Systems Administrator
- Helpdesk Support
- Network Support
What skills do you need to work in IT?
- Excellent computer skills
- Technically minded
- Problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to communicate in non-technical terminology
Where do IT professionals work?
IT professionals workers are required in most organisations from large multinationals to small independent organisations. IT professionals can work in a variety if ways including as part of a specialist IT company, in-house or as an independent contractor.
Typical work activities
- Hardware and software installation
- Fault diagnosis and resolution
- User and acceptance testing
- Training and advising on IT related issues
- Purchasing computer and communications equipment
- Managing IT projects
Find out more