What is Midwifery?
Midwifery is the support, care and advice during pregnancy, labour and the postnatal period.
- Paediatric Nurse
- Occupational Therapist
What skills do you need to work in Midwifery?
- Interest in the process of pregnancy and birth
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good observation skills
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to remain calm and focused under pressure
Where do Midwifery professionals work?
Midwifery professionals work in a variety of settings including hospitals and health centres. They may also undertake visits to the patient’s home.
Typical work activities
- Diagnosis and treatment of women before and after pregnancy
- Assisting and supporting mothers during labour
- Monitoring and recording patients well-being
- Providing support, advice and reassurance
- Liaising with other healthcare professionals
- Educating and advising patients and family members