What is Network Engineering?
Network Engineering involves building, installing and supporting computer communication networks.
- Network Engineer
- Network Administrator
- Software Engineer
- Systems Engineer
What skills do you need to work as in Network Engineering?
- An interest in IT
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong planning and organisation skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Where do Network Engineering professionals work?
Network Engineers work in both the public and private sector. Employers include central and local government departments as well as private companies such as banks, utility companies and transport companies.
Typical work activities
- Building, installing and supporting software and hardware infrastructure
- Monitoring network usage
- Analysing and resolving network faults
- Maintaining network security
- Providing technical support to users
- Project management